Monday 8 June 2015

Let the train take the strain

On a June Monday morning, leaving the house to sunshine and a suggestion of warmth, I battled the burnt toast of the children’s attempt to make breakfast, the struggle to deliver my lad to his half term tuition and attempting to peel off a deliciously clingy 5 year old daughter in an attempt to regain my composure, head into Manchester for a significant meeting in one of the Big 4 accountancy firms. (All without spilling coffee on my dress, removing the cat hairs and not getting jam in my hair which now reeked of burnt toast).

Having just about managed this, it was heavenly that the iPhone was charged, the car park was within walking distance and I confidently strode through the automatic doors of the car park and into a Gail force wind and driving rain.

Horizontal rain, freshly (lightly) tanned legs, dress and suit jacket did nothing to prepare me for the extreme change of weather.  Turning blue instantly, streaked like a watercolour, hair now resembling the mess that it was after getting out of bed really put me in the mood for entering the shining slick building in front of me.

Lady luck was with me again, Costa sat shining proudly like a beacon of warmth and hope on the corner.  It didn’t have hair straighteners, umbrellas or a makeup team but it had tea and respite from wind and rain.

The recovery was swift, the meeting was good and I strode back into the storm to take on the next challenge of the day.

The stress was all mine, I had a choice to let that stress take me head on or try to put it away in a box marked “don’t be daft, it doesn’t matter”.  It sort of worked, on that day anyway.

Following this Monday morning, was a Tuesday morning of similar challenges however the storm from the day before had turned into biblical proportions that night, making the trials and tribulations of the Game of Thrones seem tame in comparison.  With the main family car in the garage, I was destined for a 3 hour drive each way for a 10.30 meeting in Hereford in the family Noddy car.

“KEY” was the meeting, in capital letters.  For our little business, this account was crucial.  The thought of sitting on the M6  (and possibly aqua-plaining across it) at 6am did nothing for my state of mind (not to mention having to muck it out, fill it with petrol and remove the Ikea furniture that was still flat packed waiting to be built).

Light bulb moment, what about the train? Aha but this was not London that I was travelling to, this was Hereford – is this possible? Yes it was, there was only one change, and it was an hour and a half on the way there and back.  The starts were aligned.


Sitting here reflecting on some personal time, having a bit of space to admire the view is a nice change.  Fingers crossed I may even get a new client …..

No comments:

Post a Comment